Vicente said: I wanted to be a doctor. I wanted to be a doctor with my whole heart.
I learned every bone, every organ in the body. What is it for? Why does it work?
The school said to me: Vicente, be an engineer. That would be good. You understand mathematics.
I said to the school: I want to be a doctor. I already know how the organs connect. When something goes wrong, I'll understand how to make repairs.
The school said: Vicente, you will really be an excellent engineer. You show on all the tests what a good engineer you will be. It doesn't show whether you'll be a good doctor.
I said: Oh, I long to be doctor. I nearly cried. I was seventeen. I said: But perhaps you're right. You're the teacher. You're the principal. I know I'm young.
The school said: And besides, you're going into the army.
And then I was made a cook. I prepared food for two thousand men.
Now you see me. I have a good job. I have three children. This is my wife, Consuela. Did you know I saved her life?
Look, she suffered pain. The doctor said: What is this? Are you tired? Have you had too much company? How many children? Rest overnight, then tomorrow we'll make tests.
The next morning I called the doctor. I said: She must be operated immediately. I have looked in the book. I see where her pain is. I understand what the pressure is, where it comes from. I see clearly the organ that is making the trouble.
The doctor made a test. He said: She must be operated at once. He said to me: Vicente, how did you know?
Grace Paley, « A Man Told Me the Story of His Life »